Memorial Day weekend we started sight-seeing Virginia by driving up to Jamestown and Yorktown. Jamestown was the first colonial settlement- 12 years before the pilgrims landed on Plymouth. I guess when most people hear about Jamestown they think of Pocahontas and John Smith. Well- in case you were wondering- Disney got that whole story WRONG. Jamestown was really an epic failure. Lots of settlers died. They couldn't make friends with the Native Americans. The Jamestown visitors center had a replica Powhatan village there showing their way of living (far superior to what the settlers were trying to do!) There was also a replica of Fort James and then a short walk down to the bay- there were 3 ships docked there that represent the first ships to arrive in Jamestown.
Yorktown was all about the Revolutionary War and the colonial ways of life. We saw a military camp and a tobacco farm and a little farmhouse. The giftshop was so cool. I wanted to buy everything in there. For what? I have no idea- just because it was cool old historical looking stuff. I bought colonial money, a declaration of independence, stickers, books, almost bought a tea set (!?) and almost a feather quill and parchment stationary set. I tried to stick to items that would fit in "a scrapbook someday." Sigh- I am funny.I have noticed I am not taking as many pictures of these trips because I end up buying a book with photos and information in it anyways so I know I didn't miss anything.
 |
| These Powhatan natives were making tools out of animal bones and shells. I thought they could use a spray tan to seem more "authentic." |
 |
| Inside Fort James |
 |
| Baby tobacco plants. |
 |
| Tobacco drying in the rafters of a barn. |
 |
| The Yorktown military camp. They would sleep 6 men in each of these tiny tents. |
 |
| This woman knew how to handle her weapon! |
No comments:
Post a Comment