Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Bee sting

We are eating lunch yesterday when suddenly we look down at the beggar dog to see that her eye is puffy and swollen! (again!) We had no idea what happened to her- but it looked like it was getting worse right before our eyes. So I rush her to the vet of course fearing that my dog will lose her vision if I neglect it. But when I get there the receptionist tells me the veterinarians are all out to lunch and to come back at 2:00. "Umm...ok. Will she be ok until then? I don't need to do anything?" Apparently not. So I go home and the swelling starts to go down. I get online and google "dog+bee+sting+eye" and find that it is kind of a serious condition. I need to get her to a vet to get the stinger out and yadda yadda. 2:00 rolls around and I take her in to get this stinger removed. Seriously- I'm in the exam room 3 minutes, the Doc comes in, mumbles something about a bee sting, feels Roxy's throat, looks at her gums and runs her thumb over the swelling. "Well, looks like a bee sting. I don't feel a stinger though. I'll just give her a shot of antihistamine and she'll be fine." Before I can even protest that I have my own Benadryl at home, she's got a syringe all ready and it's over and I'm out the door to pay my bill. I'm thinking maybe under $30 because it was so quick and not a big deal. I about CHOKED when the bill was $61.00!!!!! What a CROOK. That's $41 for my 3 minute exam of throat and gums and stinger swipe and $20 for the shot of Benadryl!!!! I was just kicking myself all the way home. It amazes me that in an economy like this she can sleep at night and do that to people who are just trying to treat their animals well and be cautious. Sick and wrong. I learned an expensive lesson- just wait and see what happens next time. Of course Roxy is fully recovered today. Probably even better off than she was before the sting due to the extra attention and love:) But if your dogs eye was this freaky wouldn't you have done the same thing?


2 comments:

Kerstin and Jed said...

Poor Roxy! I'm glad she is ok! That eye looks painful... I would have done the same thing!

Shannon said...

I most definitely would have done the same thing!!! Poor girl! Vets drive me crazy. We adopted a Lab from the pound a few months back. The pound couldn't tell if she had been spaid or not so we paid them our $75 & we were told that the vet would refund it if they found she had already been fixed. The day of the surgery comes around, sure enough she'd already had her women hood stripped of her but they kept the money anyway just for checking her! They are the biggest crooks! Anyway... thanks again for tonight. You are more gorgeous than ever! Let's get together soon!