Monday, July 21, 2008

Bryce + Zions

We had the opportunity to go to Bryce Canyon and Zions Nat'l Park in June. Abe, my bro Caleb, and I headed down to southern Utah for a few days of camping and hiking around these wonders of nature. It was so amazing to see the uniqueness of these 2 places. When we got there, the first place we saw was the bryce amphitheater at dusk- we had no idea how huge it was going to be. In fact, Abe tells me that he had no idea what we were even going to southern utah for. (?) Umm.. he was just "coming along to make me happy" even though he wasn't very excited, and had no idea how cool these parks were going to be! So I guess he was pleasantly surprised. :) The feeling when the first view of that amphitheater became clear was kinda like that first time I went to Yellowstone as a kid. How amazing and strange that place was- but even better. I didn't know I could still feel that way as an adult. And it just got better as we went into Zions the next day. It was HUGE! I have never felt so small and awe inspired. There is so much in this world that is beautiful and unique if you can just take to time to find it. Anyways, out of hundreds of pictures, here are a few to see where we were.

Abe & I at the top of Bryce Canyon. Elevation: 9,000 feet!!

A Titanic moment.

Navajo Loop Trail hike. It was deep. It was kinda steep.



The famous Stellar's Jay found throughout Bryce Canyon. Sweet shot huh?

Crazy OLD tree.

Bryce Amphitheater around dusk. It was truly breathtaking.


ZIONS
We drove through a mountain...

...and this was on the other side.

First was a shuttle ride to the water hike!

This little river is what made Zions over thousands of years. It was a shallow river, but a DEEP canyon.

I really need a wide angle lens for these kinds of trips, Caleb's glasses kinda showed more than my lens could.

Weeping Rock.


Tasty-dactyl. These little lizards were everywhere.

Court of the Patriarchs.
Abraham, Isaac, Jacob.

Abe with the towering mount Abraham behind him. That's a name to live up to!

This was on the way home. The shoe tree? That is art.

5 comments:

Perkins said...

Fun trip! Beautiful pictures. I love it down there. It is so different than anywhere else. I really am impressed with the bird shot. Awesome!

Mandy said...

I love your pictures! Looks like you had alot of fun! I want to go on a trip so bad!

B&C Parke Family said...

Photography is your thing! These are stunning pics!

Challis

lacey said...

Hey Jen! I found your blog on Janell's, hope you don't mind ;) Tyler and I LOVE southern Utah. That's where we went for our 1st anniversary. You got some really great pictures, looks FUN!

Danny and Kaelynn Baird said...

Hey! I found your blog on Mandy's. I loved reading through it. Your dog is awesome and the pictures of the balloons and slobber were so gross. :) I loved them. Anyway. It's fun to see what you're up to.